Marolt Wetlands

The Marolt property, located just west of downtown Aspen, is an important link to the colorful phases of Aspen's history. During the mining days, the property was the site of the Holden Lixiviation Works. During Aspen's agricultural period, it was known as the Marolt Ranch. Currently, the property is referred to as the Marolt Open Space, and is home to the newly created Marolt Wetland Planting Project. The wetland project befits the community-wide emphasis on the stewardship of open space.

During the 1890's, the Holden Lixiviation Works processed low-grade silver ore, delivered to the site by the Colorado Midland Railroad. A few of the original structures still stand on the property today. In 1927, members of the Marolt family bought land, including the land where the present day golf course is located. The Marolts ran cattle and raised crops on this land until the late 1950's.

In the 1980's, the city of Aspen purchased the Marolt Ranch for open space. Concurrently, Alan Blomquist, whom this project honors, began irrigating the property, bringing life and productivity to the dried up agricultural land. He would often leave home at 5 a.m., carrying his shovel on his bicycle, to dig out the ditches by hand. He planted trees, flowers, and shrubs, all of which led to the completion of this wetland planting project.