Aspen Center for Environmental Studies (ACES), a nationally recognized leader in environmental education for people of all ages, seeks Summer Environmental Educators for two of its sites, Rock Bottom Ranch and Hallam Lake. Programs involve developing and teaching week-long programs, primarily with children 4 - 14 years old. An interested applicant may apply for one or both positions.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities: (80% time allocation)
1. Teach ACES Youth Summer Programs
• Teach weekly youth programs based at Hallam Lake or Rock Bottom Ranch, and various other off-site locations.
• Lead and safely manage students (K - 12) in a wide range of environments and conditions (i.e. programs at 11,200 feet in elevation, working outdoors with children in wet and cold weather).
• Lead and support other community programs for adults and families, as needed.
2. Develop, update, and improve curriculum and education materials for ACES Youth Summer Programs
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop, revise, and document education curriculum for week-long youth programs for various ages.
• Organize and create educational resources and materials for ACES youth programs.
Secondary Responsibilities: (20% time allocation)
1. Assist and become involved with visitor center maintenance including resident animal management, ranch animal husbandry, interpretive exhibits, and other ACES projects.
2. Perform on-site visitor center hosting responsibilities. This includes greeting and engaging guests, answering telephone calls, informal visitor education, and fielding questions.
3. Maintain site organization and cleanliness.
4. Other duties as assigned to further the mission of ACES.
The ACES Summer Educator position reports to the ACES Education Director and ACES Community Programs Senior Manager. Coordination with other senior staff may be required.
• Bachelor’s or master’s degree in natural sciences, environmental education, agriculture education or related fields
• Minimum of two years of teaching experience in a classroom or outdoor setting, elementary grade level preferred
• Passion for working with children in an outdoor setting
• Experience with curriculum writing and development of educational teaching materials
• Ability to work independently as well as within a team-oriented environment
• Creativity and organizational skills essential
• Spanish language proficiency preferred
• Current First Aid & CPR certification, WFR or WFA preferred
June 8, 2020 - August 21, 2020
Employment as a full-time year round ACES Educator may be available.
• This is a salaried position, pay commensurate with experience.
• Housing provided if available.
Rock Bottom Ranch Educators are based at ACES’ 113-acre working ranch located in Basalt, Colorado.
Hallam Lake Educators are based at ACES’ 25-acre nature preserve located in Aspen, Colorado.
Housing may be a part of compensation for either site base.
Please email cover letter and resume to Phebe Meyers, ACES Community Programs Senior Manager, [email protected]. Applications will be accepted through March 20, 2020. Hiring will be done on a rolling basis.
Please indicate in your application and/or cover letter whether you are applying for the Rock Bottom Ranch or Hallam Lake position, or both. Also indicate if you are interested in applying as a year-round Educator.